Wednesday, July 15, 2009

You wont believe what happened last night !! I am watching pay TV about 9.30 pm and my wife calls out from the bedroom, she is watching TV as well. There is a tsunami on the way here !!!!
I rushed to the computer and looked up the BOM site, our Australian weather bureau, and sure enough there was a tsunami warning for our coast due to an earthquake in New Zealand. Now being a pessimist all my life I straight away thought the worst. I must say though the report from the bureau was pretty serious. Keep away from the waters edge, evacuate low lying areas etc. etc. please notify neighbors etc. I did notify a couple who laughed and said not to worry too much, ha ha !!! well I said to my wife "I am off in the car to a safer place". She was all tucked up in bed and quite relaxed about it. "OK, I will alright as we are on the second story here " !!!!!!!
Well of course I stayed then to face the consequences. It was announced that a new update was coming at 10.08 pm, so I waited anxiously. The new report gave exactly the same warning as the first but as the wave, waves, whatever, was expected to arrive at 10.15 at our point of the coast, I decided to tuff it out with my wife. Nothing happened, luckily, but this morning one of my mates who had a friend that worked stacking supermarket shelves during the night told me the police had evacuated the workers during the night and that the tsunami threat was not withdrawn or updated until 4am this morning. So all is well that ends well but I could not help thinking about how relaxed everyone was about the whole thing. One of my calls advising of the possible situation developing was to our local waterside Yacht club. My phone call was greeted with no concern at all just laughter and advice for me to Google tsunami as all the details would be on the Internet if it was going to happen ? Well it didn't happen, we are all safe and dry, but I cannot help thinking as history has shown what a disaster it would have been had it really developed as predicted.

No comments: