Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Bad Habits

One of my bad habits is to quote punchlines at opportune times from movies that I have seen. We all know the old classics such as "Hey punk, make my day" and many young men I am sure have tried to do the Clint Eastwood thing amongst their mates. Well my quotations are not quite so drastic as Clint's but still used at the right time can impress. As I am a Bud Spencer, Terence Hill fan I quite often use their quotations. As I am getting older and dealing with more and more worldly situations, corruption in Governments, broken promises, faulty equipment, efforts to avoid warranties etc. etc. I am certainly growing more and more disappointed with the world. There is a great scene in one of the "trinity boys" movies where Bud Spencer is standing in the middle of a wide span bridge, feeling miserable, and looking out across a vast scene of water, docklands, city landscape partly hidden by smog. A guy walks up to Bud and says, "Excuse me sir but can you please tell me where there is a toilet ? " In typical Bud Spencer style Bud turns around very slowly and stares in silence at the enquiring face for about 20 seconds, then finally Bud replies : "The whole world is a toilet, just one gigantic toilet bowl" I love this quote and every now and then I get the chance to use it too. Somehow it is strangely satisfying for me, is it just a bad habit or am I growing far too cynical ?

No comments: