Saturday, July 25, 2009

Getting Sucked in to Dog Adoption

We have always had a dog, or dogs as additional members of our family, why God didn't make the life span of a dog similar to a human life span I will never know as the heartbreak when your furry family member finally leaves is something that stays with you for always. Well this is the story of how we ended up adopting one of our present family. We already had two small dogs,a cute little Maltese/ Poodle called Mickey and a miniature Jack Russell called Molly and really, two dogs was by far enough for us to deal with. My sister, who lives in a nearby town, decided that she would adopt another small dog as she had recently lost one and she felt that her other little dog was missing the company. She went to the local RSPCA dog pound and picked a lovely small terrier that needed to find a home very quickly if he was to survive. She paid all the fees etc. and she was going to town on the coming Friday to pick him up. She already had his name worked out, Toby. Well having our own little Mickey and Molly we were all excited too, so we decided to go with my sister on Friday to help pick up Toby from the pound. We arrive there all excited and the lady tells my sister that Toby is still away at the local vet centre having all his injections and my sister would have to come back later that day. While we are waiting at the counter I spotted the cutest little head and ears peering at us from a cage some distance away. "look at that cute face", I say to my wife !!! My wife straight away rushes and checks out this "cute" dog which is a small Jack Russell.. "Whats the story with the little Jack Russell" ? asks my wife, Oh says the lady, he has only a few days left and he will be put to sleep !! Of course what could we do ? we were trapped, my wife paid all the money and signed all the papers, (this dog had current vaccinations as it had belonged to an old lady who could no longer look after him), so we ended up leaving with "Jack", our new dog, my sister leaves also without her dog !! , she had to come back later ! As we drove away I thought to myself how easy it is to get sucked in to loving a poor little fellow with no future. Here I am driving away with a new dog which I needed like a hole in the head, my sister, the whole reason for the trip, leaving with us without her new dog, he was coming later. Well "Jack" and "Mickey" remain with us to this day, "Molly" sadly has gone up to Doggy Heaven and it was in fact my wife placing flowers on her grave today that prompted this blog. "Jack" is a lovely dog and he really did fall on his feet that day and he was about the last thing that we needed at that time but he is so important to our family now I don't know what we would do without him. Toby did very well that day too and fell on his feet and he lives in a loving home as well.

No comments: