Thursday, February 25, 2010

Wild Dogs in the Australian Bush.

Since I have been living on my wilderness farm I have discovered some amazing facts about our Australian Dingo and the wild domestic dogs that we expect the Dingo to live with nowadays. Deer shooters from the big cities over the years have lost a lot of dogs whilst hunting. They have jobs to return to in the cities and if the dog does not return to the camp on time or gets lost, well he is left in the bush to fend for himself for the rest of his miserable life. These wild domestic dogs are Alsations, Ridgebacks, Dobermans etc, so my potato/ pumpkin farm is surrounded by some pretty savage canines after dark. I certainly dont venture out very often. My wilderness farm is 11 acres of river flat, surrounded by National park and bordered by a river. These dogs have a fantastic "Pack" and "territorial" mentality, if I leave any piece of equipment anywhere on the property other than outside my home the dogs set up a great noise and howl for a lot of the night. I can leave anything within about 50 meters of my house and sheds and they stay silent but if it is anywhere else on the property I have to put up with a noisy night. They have a strange respect for my territory and I respect theirs after dark, even if it is my property ! You see this situation only exists after dark, you rarely see a dog during daylight, a matter of fact you rarely see them anyway. There are two distinct types of wild dog, what we call the purebred, which is the true Aussie Dingo, and the feral domestic dogs, (they are the ones to worry about). Big animals with lots of black in the coat and brave enough to stand their ground and eyeball you if you are unlucky enough to meet one. When hungry and in a small pack these dogs have put many tough bushman up in trees before today. Around the house I have very skinny halfbreeds I suppose you would call them. Miserable looking animals, starving and with Dingo shaped heads. I can only feel sorry for them but I admire the pack mentality and the honour amongst them all. I can only say that I wish someone would do a study of the Australian Dingo and the problems with the cross breeding as a lot more needs to be learnt and understood about these animals. I just thought that I would leave this for all those dog and animal lovers out there in hyperspace.

No comments: